Thursday, November 9, 2023

Magical Metamorphosis

 

You know if a month ago, someone would have told me that I went to an event all glammed up, I would have laughed in their face. But now that I have attended not 1 but 4 events in a week, I am surprised to see my own transformation.

 

It is my inherent nature to stay away from people. I have always preferred to curl up in bed with a book rather than attending parties.

 

But it all changed the day when my friend told me that a Comic Con was taking place in our college.

 

Being a fan of all the great fandoms out there, attending a Comic Con had been on my bucket list from a long time.

 

So, I just had to go.

 

Good thing was that I was home for the weekend but the sad thing was that my friend told me about this at 7pm. Being a lazy and a shop-allergic person, I decided to go for DIY costume.

 

After a lot of brainstorming with my mother, we were able to create a Harry Potter Outfit. The props were the only thing authentic. My wand and Hedwig stuffy that I had. My mom crafted the witch’s hat out of black chart paper. I had black shoes to go with the dress.

 

To make the dress was tricky. I had a black frock but it had some design at front, so I needed to cover it up. So, I wore a black t-shirt on top of it to cover it up.

 

For the robe, my mother came up with her long and colorful shrug, which I wore inside- out to make it look like a black robe. Overall, my costume was quite believable.

 

The day of comic con proved that my costume was not only believable it was indeed cool. I felt like a character in Disneyland as everyone came towards me to get their pictures clicked. It was a bit overwhelming to be noticed by so many new people but somehow it helped me open-up to them.

 

Though there were times when I got jealous of Hedwig. I mean a few people just saw it and ran over to get a picture clicked only with Hedwig. Come on guys, Hedwig did not even brush down her feathers herself.

 

It was I who not only got ready myself but even made her presentable.

 

Then, I even took part in the cosplay parade and got to see how wonderfully seniors have prepared for it. This only made me and my friends more motivated to prepare even better cosplay for next year.

 

You would have thought that I would have been totally knocked out after this event. Even I thought the same but then it was announced that coming Friday would be Hostel Night where pre-Diwali celebration will take place.

 

Yeah, so again I found that strange feeling of excitement in my stomach at the prospect of doing something different.

 

Thankfully the outfit was not a problem this time as my mother’s future sight had helped me come prepared with my Lehenga.

 

The trouble this time was that the event was going to begin at 6:30 pm and I had a class on the opposite side of campus till 6pm.

 

In short, I just had 30 minutes to run across the campus and get dolled up. It was tough but I had my motivation.

 

Hostel night meant that we would be served scrumptious snacks but they were available for very short time. So, if I got late, they were at the risk of getting over.

 

So, as soon as the class was dismissed, I ran at a speed that would have come par to some great track stars.

Then on reaching the hostel I dodged about the others girls getting dressed. Everyone had a separate trouble. Someone needed black heels, another needed a straightener, safety pins and clips were being traded like candy on Halloween.  

 

Finally, I entered my room, pulled out my dress from the almirah and threw it on the bed. Then I wore the skirt on the lower I was wearing because it was supposed to be cold that night and I cannot end up falling sick when there was so much going on in my life.

When my dress was on, I went on to complete my makeup routine. The first step included using facewash to remove away the dirt and sweat accumulated on the face. The next step was Odomos because I cannot have the mosquitoes eating more than me.

 

The final step included combing my cute little hair and I got ready by 6:15pm.

 

But all my friends were still getting ready. That’s when it hit me that my makeup routine was just an embarrassment to all the makeup routines out there.

But my friends were kind enough to give me a makeover. Though they might have noticed my anxiety as they didn’t go overboard (thankfully).

They did some light pink dab -dab on my eyes and eyeliner (it is that black pencil-thing). And they kind of styled my hair in a different way which I loved very much.

 

After we all were ready, we headed down to fill our bellies.

 

The event was awesome. The entire hostel was glammed up so were all the girls in it. With their various attires everyone was walking along elegantly and the vibe around was perfectly elite.

Now no offense boys but your hostel night could not match our perfect vibe.

 

Everything happened at the allotted time. We all watched each performance respectfully and did an applause when it got over. We laughed and behaved as royalty.

 

But as soon as the Chief Guest left and the Warden gave the signal, and the DJ blared up. I was surprised to see the entire scenario change.

Guess long heals and dresses can’t really get in girls’ way when they want to party.

I was having a lot of fun even my favorite songs were playing, but as the clock struck 10:00 I knew I had to leave cause my fairy godmother’s magic lasts only till 10.

 

So, I slipped back into my room and changed into my comfy pajamas and got into bed. It then crossed my mind how was I going to sleep in all this noise when the DJ’s vibration was literally shaking my entire room but the next moment my eyelids gave the answer by closing and I ended up shutting off instantly.

 

On Saturday, I went to another event: Movie Night. I got into Movie club and there they conducted a short film making challenge. So, in their event, they were going to screen each team’s film. For this event, we were told to wear ethnic wear.

 

So, I re-wore the black lower from the previous day and my mother's colorful shrug on that black shirt.

 

It was a fun evening, watching everyone’s creativity, sitting and enjoying movies with my friends.

 

Even though our movie did not win anything, just seeing it being played on the big screen made my heart beat faster and, in the credits, when I saw myself as a script writer made me emotional. Who knows I start scripting more often now and you get a short film to watch every month.

 

As Sunday rolled in, I had another event to attend. But you got to admit that I had overworked myself this week, by getting ready, so I now made no effort to follow the required dress code and just went in normal jeans and t-shirt. It was a virtual stock exchange competition. The event was really engaging and lunch that they served was scrumptious but then we just got so tired and sleepy that we quit and went out. We ended the evening on a sweet note with some beautiful waffle sticks and ice-cream.

 

It was night time when I finally realized that it had been the first weekend I had not rushed home, stayed in college and still had fun.

It’s not like I had forgotten my parents or anything, but now after 4 months, I had finally started considering this place as my home too.

 

Indeed this metamorphosis is kind of magical.

 


 

4 comments:

  1. Happy to see this change.... Hope you overcome this social anxiety more and make more new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written our lil’ princess 🙄❤️

    ReplyDelete

Aboard the Last Train

Death was a concept that I only encountered in fiction. In movies where, they speak an emotional dialogue before going limp in the hero’s ar...