Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Birthday Bliss



For my family, 11th December was just another date on the calendar until I was born. My parents describe it as a beautiful day but I really can’t pull back any memories to confirm this as I was asleep most of the time, only occasionally did I grace the people clustered around me with open eyes.

I might not know how my first five birthdays have gone but since the 6th birthday, birthday parties have been my favorite moments of the year. My parents took the responsibility to celebrate each birthday innovatively. Their hosting and games helped me and my friends enjoy a lot on my birthday. Life was going fine with a birthday to look upon every year.

Until now when the climax in the film arrived. Grade tenth is a turning point in most of our lives. After our board results, we all venture forward in different directions. It's not that we forget our old friends but still conversations amongst us all become scanty.

I too chose my path and opted for online coaching which further cut me off from making new friends. All I had left were bittersweet memories of friends from the past. But somehow the year passed on. With studies and ‘Marvel’ shows or movies releasing every month; I didn’t realize how early the year came to an end and before long my birthday was just a fortnight away.

 

“So, how are you going to celebrate your birthday this time?”, asked my mother. I thought a bit, “Um, I am not going to celebrate it this time.” The disappointment was clearly etched on her face, “But why? Come on, last time you called 22 friends! I am sure everyone would love to come.” I sighed, “No one is going to come, they all are in different schools with different streams no one will be interested.” My mom put on her concerned face, “Oh dear, why don’t you try making a WhatsApp group and ask whether they want to come over.”  I rolled my eyes, “No, this is the worst idea ever. If I message them, half of them would be like, ‘Huh, who is she, oh our ex-classmate, why is she calling us for her birthday?’”

My mother laughed at my acting and said, “Don’t worry no one can forget you so soon.” I thought; indeed no one would forget me as every 15th I flood their chat with my latest blog.

I spoke out, “No, this will be extremely embarrassing. Just because I didn’t make any new friends doesn’t mean others haven’t. not everyone is taking online coaching.” I reminded her, “And now I have to study”, saying so I rushed before my mom could pester me further.

That night on the dinner table my father spoke up, “So, which restaurant should I contact for your birthday?” “Papa, it is 14 days away!”, I exclaimed. “It will be here before you.” He replied with a wink. “After all arranging for 30-35 kids would be difficult.” I exclaimed, “I never called so many friends.” My dad looked confused, “Why last time there were 40.” My eyes went wide, “No, no only 22, you were there too, how can you forget?” My dad replied casually, “Well, you all have grown up so much it felt like a gathering of 40.”

I sighed, “Anyways I am not celebrating my birthday this time.”

“Why?”

“That’s what I am telling her all day that she should call her friends”, my mum said coming over with food.

I said, “No.”

My younger brother piped up, “If Didi isn’t calling her friends, can I call mine, I have already made my list.”

His birthday is in April. How could he have started preparing for it? Kids will be kids.

My mother said, “No, if Didi doesn’t call her friends, you are not allowed to bring yours.”

My brother made a cute face and looked at me with pleading eyes, my parents also gave expectant looks. Great, now I was tortured by all three. Three on one that is so unfair.

“I have to study”, using this tagline I went to my room. Looks I will have to study more to lessen this discussion.

 

That night while getting ready for bed I heard some hushed whispers from my parents’ room. Now it is really bad to eavesdrop yet too on your parents. So, I was going to move on but I heard my brother's voice too. Well, if he can hear it then I definitely can too. They were talking about my birthday. Yikes, I should have known they wouldn’t let me off the hook so soon. I continued to hear. A plan for Chandigarh, going to the zoo, will take all relatives, have a picnic.

 I got it all then I expertly tiptoed to bed and set to make a plan to crush theirs.

In the morning I went to my mother who was cooking breakfast and I whined, “I am not calling any of my friends.” My mother smiled and replied, “It’s okay sweetie, we understand you can leave that plan.”

I held back my smile as I thought, ‘Mama doesn’t know I know their surprise plan.’

I casually replied, “Well now that my friends are not coming only our relatives will come.”

“Yes”, mom answered absently stirring the pot. I continued, “So, for my birthday no need to go to Chandigarh we can simply have lunch at our favorite restaurant.”

My mother stopped stirring the pot now she was paying full attention to my words. This is the moment where I drop the bomb “And definitely don’t plan a reunion at the zoo. It’s for kids. I am a grownup and…”

My mother cut me off and exclaimed, “You heard our plan, it was supposed to be a surprise.” I said, “Well it would have turned into a shock for me. Please cancel this plan.” My mom shook her head and muttered, “Fine let’s think about something else.”

With the Zoo’s plan ending, my mother cornered me the next day. She said, “It's okay if you don’t want a party but at least choose a gift.” I sighed, “I have everything, I need nothing.”

My mother replied mysteriously, “Ok, I was just looking at some beautiful keychains, thought they would go nice with your scooter key.”

“Show me”, I replied casually. My mom opened the app and right in front of my eyes were ‘Avengers keychains’. I tried controlling myself but my mother was emitting strong waves of manipulation towards me. ‘Don’t fall for it, but they are so pretty.’ An internal fight was raging inside me.

We ended up ordering ten of them. Don’t take me wrong, I was attacked fiercely with manipulative waves. Mothers are always great at it.

 

Just five days before my birthday, I got a message from a close friend of mine. She just said she would like to call. I called her up and she exclaimed, “Hey, you are giving a party, right?”

I stammered, “You will c…come.”

She said, “Of course, and guess what others are talking about the same thing in our friends WhatsApp group.”

I left that group a long time ago.

“Seriously”, I asked. “Yes, we all have so much fun at your party, we are just waiting for the invitation. You are celebrating it this time. Right?”

“I will message the details soon” I ended the call. I couldn’t help myself from smiling.

When I asked my parents, my mother’s comment was, “I told you so.” I apologized and gave them hugs and then excitedly went to call my friends.

 

Nine of them came over and I had a splendid time. Turned out they too were happy to rekindle old bonds and my prejudice was wrong. Laughing and talking, we spent a lot of time together and this birthday too became memorable. My wrong thoughts ended and I realized that friends will be friends even if they are apart. Something my parents had been telling me for a fortnight.



 

P.S: - This blog is not to be taken as a rebuke if you forgot my birthday. I am happy with belated birthday wishes too. But yes, its motive was to deliver a reminder for the next time.

 


9 comments:

  1. Belated Happy BirthdayπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated Happy Birthday πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday πŸŽ‚ belated , god bless you ,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday in advance( for the next year. Because this one I couldn’t wish..)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good explain Birthday celebrations nice blog always God bless you bye 🀣

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birthday is always precious like diamond and your blog is 1st copy of that diamond 😳

    ReplyDelete
  7. May your birthdays be always special and bring happiness to you ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated happy birthday dear ❤❤❤ keep writing ✍ God bless you ��

    ReplyDelete

Hide and Kill

Fifteen summer break days have already passed, and we have done nothing. Well, except for our video game skill polishing. We were crashing a...